Malted Ginger Cider Recipe makes 6 gallons
Hard apple cider made with sorghum malt and fresh ginger. Has a spicy ginger flavor which is well balanced with the apples, and has a crisp and carbonated finish.
- 4 lbs Ginger (steeped for 12 – 24 hours)
- 3 Lemons (steeped with ginger for 12 – 24 hours)
- 2 lbs Sorghum Syrup (prior to boil)
- 0.5 oz Northern Brewer (30 min)
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks (30 min)
- 10 g Whole Cloves (30 min)
- 500 g Lactose (5 min) optional
- 1/2 tsp Irish Moss (5 min)
- 1 pkg SafAle S-05 Yeast
- 1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
- 4 gallons Treetop Apple Juice / Cider
- Bottle condition with 8 oz maltodextrine
OG: 1.052 FG: 1.010
Primary Ferment: 30 days at 60 – 70 degrees
Secondary Ferment: 30 – 60 days at 60 – 70 degrees
Boil Minutes: 30
Slice ginger and lemons and add to 2.25 – 2.5 gallons of water, steep for 12 – 24 hours until ginger flavor is extracted. Collect wort.
Bring wort to boil and add sorghum syrup, achieve hot break, add hops and additional ingredients according to schedule.
After flameout allow wort to steep until temperature has returned to approximately room temperature.
Add one gallon of juice to carboy, pitch yeast nutrient and add wort (straining out hops and other ingredients). Add remaining juice to achieve approximately 6+ gallons.
Aerate and pitch yeast.
Carboy may blow over, so do not top off. May need to run hose to secondary container to function as airlock.
Recipe source: Gluten Free Home Brew – Spicy Ginger Beer recipe