Simple Sorghum Salad recipe adds ancient grain health benefits to a hearty and simple salad.
- 1 cup sorghum
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely sliced
- grind of black pepper and salt to taste
- 4 cups baby kale leaves, or other greens
In a large pot (or rice cooker), combine water, sorghum and salt and bring to a boil. Cover, set to medium-low heat and simmer until the water is absorbed and the grains are tender, adding extra water if necessary, about one hour of cooking time.
While the sorghum is cooking prepare the dressing.
In a small bowl combine the lemon juice, mustard and garlic and stir. While continuing to stir, slowly add the olive oil to make a thick dressing.
After the sorghum is cooked, allow to cool until warm, about 5 minutes, then toss with the dressing, scallions, onion and kale leaves.